Saturday, October 27, 2012

"FEED MY SHEEP"


We lived in Ignacio Colorado during the early years of our ministry.  There was a couple in our church that my children loved and adored.  Glenn and Jeannie Faverino took me under their wing and it didn't take long before my children believed they were their grandparents. 

When Josh was three years old he followed Glenn around everywhere he was given the opportunity.  We spent quite a bit of time on their ranch in Allison.  Steve and Josh would go outside with Glenn and feed the horses, while Jeannie and I prepared the meals.  We were unaware that Josh was watching intently every move Glenn made. 

Josh soon gained a love for horses that was manifest on a daily basis.  He owned his very own horse and had an area in his backyard sectioned off, so his horse couldn't escape. Josh made sure his plastic bouncing horse was well taken care of each day. 

Each morning after breakfast. Josh would inform me that he was headed out to feed the horse.  He would gather his pail, fill it with sand and carry it over to the horse.  He would stand there for quite some time making sure his horse had been given plenty to eat. 

This became a daily ritual that Josh performed.  After making sure his horse had been fed and well taken care of, he then would go for a ride.  Josh learned the need to take care of his horse by watching Glenn.  We never had to show him how to carry this task out.  He learned it by seeing it demonstrated. 

In John chapter 21 we see, this was this third time Jesus appeared to his disciples after his crucifixion.  The Lord knew he was fixing to ascend to His Father. He wanted to make sure his children would be taken care of.  He wanted to be sure that Peter and the deciples had been watching him intently and knew what to do once he ascended to the father.

When I had children at home and I was planning on leaving I wanted to make sure my children were in good hands.  Not just the hands of a person who would sit in the house and be available, but someone that would intently watch them.  I wanted to be sure they would take care of all their needs; needs for protection, for food, bathing, and then placed into bed with care. 

The Lord, at this point is making sure that Peter will not only feed his sheep but he is probing into the depths of Peter's heart.  He is wanting to see if Peter is willing to do everything needed for his children's safety and maturity during his absence.  He didn't only probe Peter to see how well he would feed his sheep.  He also probed to see if Peter was willing to care for his lambs. 

The Lord is fixing to hand over the Keys to the Kingdom to Peter.  He is expecting Peter to keep the gospel alive and to pass it on to others.  It wasn't just for one generation of sheep but for many generations to come. 

We see each time Jesus asked Peter this question, there was more depth.  He probed him to the point that it frustrated Peter.  But when it was all said and done, the Lord know Peter was the one to recieve the Keys to the Kingdom.  He knew the depths of his love.

How much do you love Him?  The Lord may be asking you at this point, "__________, will you feed my sheep?"  What will be your response? 

There have been many faithful witnesses that have gone before us.  Let us learn from the footprints they left behind how to take care of the Lord's sheep.

JOHN 21:14
This is now the third time that Jesus
shewed himself to his disciples,
after that he was risen from the dead.
So when they had dined,
Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon,
son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?
He saith unto him, Yea, Lord;
thou knowest that I love thee.
He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
He saith to him again the second time,
Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?
He saith unto him, Yea, Lord;
thou knowest that I love thee.
 He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
 He saith unto him the third time,
Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?
Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time,
Lovest thou me? And he said unto him,
Lord, thou knowest all things;
 thou knowest that I love thee.
Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment