Sunday, September 2, 2012

CLIMBING ABOVE THE CLOUDS



Do you struggle with depression? Do the clouds seem too heavy above you at times? Flying home from Garland on Thursday I noticed the sky was covered with clouds above us. Some of the clouds looked like giant mountains. For some time we traveled under the clouds and then the pilot decided it was time to get above the clouds. You could tell when his decision was made. He set his props, geared the plane up, set the nose of the plane in an upward direction and before we knew it, we were cutting though the massive clouds. There was turbulence but the pilot didn’t give up and turn the nose of the plane downward to get out of the turbulence, he kept moving upward. Slowly the clouds began to fade, the sky became bright blue and as I looked out the window the clouds now looked like a beautiful ocean underneath us.

I have noticed in my life when I get depressed that I just stay there for a period of time. One of the reasons that I just stay there is because I don’t take the necessary steps in order to rise above it. I might gear up but I forget to set the props. Or I may set the props but forget to hold my head up high. You see it takes some effort on my part to climb above the clouds also. I learned several years back that the direction I set my shoulders and head will determine my outlook on life. If I am defeated my shoulders sag and my head is dropped. If I have confidence my shoulders are squared and my head set in the direction I am going.

 I need to trust my co-pilot, Jesus Christ to remind me of all the things necessary to climb above the clouds.  I must be willing to hear his voice and follow his wisdom and read the manual, God's Word daily in order to set my course and stick to it.

All three steps must be done in order to climb above the clouds. Be prepared for turbulence. I have never tried to climb above the clouds without having turbulence. There is always someone or something that comes against me during the process. Keep moving forward, never changing direction, knowing that after passing through the turbulence that you will soon find yourself above the clouds.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
 I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
 and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Psalms 23:1-6


No comments:

Post a Comment