Monday, April 23, 2018

WHO IS A TRUE WORSHIPER?

Written by Steve Long

I once learned that worship comes from the idea of worth-ship. If we worship something or someone, we acknowledge its worth; or the person’s worth.

If we truly worship God, we recognize as best as we know how, his worth or value. But how can we even begin to realize the value of a Holy, Omnipotent and Gracious God?

Buildings may be worth millions of dollars. Your business could be sold at a great price if you’ve poured blood, sweat, tears and time into it and have built it up into a status of high demand. Freedom is so valuable to us that most of us would give our lives to preserve it for our posterity. But how can you place any proper value on the LORD who loved us and gave himself for us? Priceless!

When I was a pastor, most everyone just called me “Steve” or “Brother Steve” and I often called them brother as well. Some called me “Brother Long” or “Pastor Long.” I never expected anything more. I never felt that I should be called “Reverend.”[i]

In College, we recognized professors with Doctorates as “Dr. Sherman” or “Dr. Schaeffer.”

In the court room, we address the judge as “Your Honor,” (though I have heard some lawyers address the judge as “Judge.”)

When I’m pulled over by a policeman, I always say; “Yes sir.” (My Momma didn’t raise no dummy.) But I usually greet most people whose name I don’t know with “Sir” or “Ma’am.” Sounds better than “Hey you!”

In England, things are a little different I suppose:

High court officials are called “My Lord” or “My Lady.” For some reason the Justice of Peace is sometimes called “Your Worship.”

Designations in the Church of England are as follows:

Deacons and Priests: “Reverend,”
The Dean: “Very Reverend,”

Bishop: “Right Reverend,” or “Lord Bishop.”

Diocesan Bishop: “Right Reverend and Right Honorable.”

The Archbishop: “Most Reverend and Right Honorable”[ii]

A Knight or Baronet in England is addressed as “Sir” and his wife as “My Lady.” A Baron would be referred to as “My Lord” or “Your Lordship.” A Duke or Duchess there is addressed as “Your Grace.”

Princes and Princesses in England are called “His Royal Highness” or “Her Royal Highness.”

The Queen or King would receive the designation – “Her Majesty” or “His Majesty.”
It seems we place great value on the status of people in our culture. We give these honorable titles to people in high positions. Others place movie stars, rich people, politicians or athletes upon a pedestal.

We sometimes do this in the church too. I’ve been deeply disappointed in what I’ve seen in some men in ministry who I once thought were above most others only to learn that they were human too. I’ve been disappointed in myself as well when I should never have expected anything spectacular out of a frail, faulty human being.

It seems we’ve “worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. “ (Romans 1.25)

Jesus showed us something about true worship when he said to the woman at the well:



But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4.23-24)

The woman, who had met him there, thought worship was about location. Should it be done on a hill in Samaria or in Jerusalem?

Some think it is about locution. Just how eloquently can we pray? Can I come up with the right words to express how much I value God?

Jesus tells us that it is not about location or locution but that it concerns love. Our love for him is simply a response to the love he’s shown us. It is about embracing the truth about who God says that he is, and echoing back to him his goodness from our spirit in love. It comes from the heart.

Worship is not just Spiritual speech. It may involve that, but it involves a life lived in recognition of his Honor, Worship, Lordship, Grace, Royal Highness and Majesty. He is the Most Reverend, Most Honorable, Most High God.

I love saying that. Why don’t you say it with me?

[i] He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name. (Psalm 111.9 – King James Version)

[ii] The scribes and the Pharisees… love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, 'Rabbi, Rabbi.’ But you, do not be called 'Rabbi'; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

No comments:

Post a Comment