Monday, February 27, 2017

WINGS OF THE MORNING

Photo provided by Sid Michael Gray

O LORD, thou hast searched me, 
and known me.  Thou knowest 
my downsitting and mine uprising, 
thou understandest my thought afar 
off.  Thou compassest my path and 
my lying down, and art acquainted 
with all my ways. For there is not a 
word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, 
thou knowest it altogether.  Thou hast 
beset me behind and before, and laid 
thine hand upon me.  Such knowledge 
is too wonderful for me; it is high, I 
cannot attain unto it. Whither shall I 
go from thy spirit? or whither shall 
I flee from thy presence?  If I ascend 
up into heaven, thou art there: if I make 
my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.  If 
I take the wings of the morning, and dwell 
in the uttermost parts of the sea;  Even there 
shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand 
shall hold me.  If I say, Surely the darkness 
shall cover me; even the night shall be 
light about me.  Yea, the darkness hideth 
not from thee; but the night shineth as the 
day: the darkness and the light are both 
alike to thee.  For thou hast possessed 
my reins: thou hast covered me in my  
mother’s womb.  I will praise thee; 
for I am fearfully and wonderfully  
made: marvellous are thy works; 
and that my soul knoweth right well.
My substance was not hid from thee, 
when I was made in secret, and 
curiously wrought in the lowest parts 
of the earth.  Thine eyes did see my 
substance, yet being unperfect; 
and in thy book all my members 
were written, which in continuance 
were fashioned, when as yet there 
was none of them.  How precious 
also are thy thoughts unto me, O 
God! how great is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they are 
more in number than the sand: 
when I awake, I am still with thee.
Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, 
O God: depart from me therefore, 
ye bloody men.  For they speak 
against thee wickedly, and thine 
enemies take thy name in vain.
Do not I hate them, O LORD, 
that hate thee? and am not I 
grieved with those that rise up 
against thee?  I hate them with 
perfect hatred: I count them mine 
enemies.  Search me, O God, 
and know my heart: try me, 
and know my thoughts:  And see 
if there be any wicked way in me, 
and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 139

No comments:

Post a Comment