Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A LESSON IN PATIENCE


Today at work I was trying to find a part for a piece of equipment that went down.  As I placed the call I explained who I was and that I was needing the parts department.  The lady on the other end didn't seem to understand me so once again I stated I needed to speak with the parts department. 

She said, "how do you spell that?" 

I spelled it for her and she said, "I don't think we have anyone working here by that name. 

I tried multiple times to explain to her that I am not trying to reach a specific person that I just need the department in their store that sells parts.  After going back and forth for several minutes I decided it best to just ask for another number.  She gave me the number to the lobby.  Things only got more complicated at that point.  When I hung up I was thinking what it must have been like at the Tower of Babel. 

After work I ran by the grocery store to grab a few items and the Real Bacon Bits were on an end cap with no price.  I grabbed a bag and put them on the conveyor belt.  As the gentleman checking me out scanned them I asked,

"Can you tell me the price on the bacon bits?"

Oh no, not again. 

He reaches in my sack and pulls out the package of bacon I had purchased. 

I gently said, "No Sir, the bacon bits." 

He reached back in the bag and pulled out the pork chops.

"No, No, the B A C O N   B I T S," was my response again, only slower. 

He pulled out the sliced ham. 

I finally said, "Never Mind." 

He was really wanting to answer my question so I finally came around the corner pulled the bacon bits out of the bag and showed him.  He looked so stunned and said, Bacon Bits."  

I exclaimed, yes!

He gave me the price of the item and kept looking at the little bag.

Honestly but this point I was a little washed out.  Walking to the parking lot, I spoke to the Lord and said,

"Lord, you must be trying to teach me patience."

In response, I felt the Lord say, "Sherry, I am not trying to teach you patience, I am teaching you patience.  It's all up to you how fast you learn it.

With that thought I began to think what it would be like if I was the individual that moved to a foreign country and had to get a job and try to communicate with so many people everyday that wasn't patient.  I have always tried to be patient and kind with individuals but I think the Lord showed me today that I can be a little bit kinder and more patient.  I need to show them the love of Christ instead of my own selfish nature which tends to jump out of me sometimes when I am tired.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.  And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.  (I Corinthians 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment